Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Spanish... Erm Well Quiche?!

I'm not entirely sure where the inspiration for this came from, I think it's all this sunshine and the fact that I'm craving a holiday! For the moment it's only my cooking that seems to be transporting me to far flung places : (

I was originally going to make a Quiche Lorraine as I had a block of pastry in the freezer that needed using up. But I thought I'd spice things up a bit and instead use some chorizo that I had lying around and the rest of the ingredients kind of fell into place. The recipe is adapted from a Quiche Lorraine recipe by Rachel Allen, I'm not entirely sure of the exact amounts of each ingredient that I used so feel free to tweak it and add more or less of what you do or don't like. I had wanted to use some sliced cooked potato but ran out of room, but it kind of led me to thinking that if you're a vegetarian you could omit the chorizo and use potato and maybe some olives instead?

And please, feel free to leave a comment if you can think of anything more exotic to call this than Spanish Quiche!


Spanish Quiche


A block of shortcrust pastry, or of course you can make your own (or use a pre-baked pastry case!)
1 tbsp olive oil (I used a little of the oil from my jar of roasted peppers)
100g chorizo, diced
a red onion, finely chopped
50g roasted red peppers (from a jar is absolutely fine)
1 tsp dried thyme
2 eggs plus 2 yolks
250ml double cream (milk will do if you don't have any to hand)
salt and pepper
one tomato, thinly sliced
100g cheddar, half cubed for in the quiche, half grated for the top

1. Leave your pastry to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180c (350F)/ Gas Mark 4. Line your tart tin and bake blind for 15-20 minutes.

2. Whilst the pastry is baking, fry the chorizo, onion, red peppers and thyme in a pan with the oil until softened, about 10 minutes, then leave to one side to cool.

3. Whisk the eggs in a bowl (a pyrex jug is useful for ease of pouring into the case), add the cream/ milk and season well with the salt and pepper.

4. When the pastry case is done spread your chorizo mix evenly over it, dotting the cubed cheddar around it. Lay your tomato slices over the top in a decorative pattern and then pour your cream mixture over the top. (It is best to pour in just a little of the cream mixture, then return the tin to the oven and top it up, this helps to avoid any spillages as you put it in the oven.*) I also found that I didn't need all of the cream mixture but this will vary depending on the depth and diameter of your tart tin. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar over the top and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the centre has set.

*You would also think that I listen to my own advice... my pastry case shrunk after blind baking and I poured in too much of the mixture, resulting in major leakage out the sides of the case, through the bottom of the tin and onto the bottom of my oven whilst cooking : ( Sometimes, we never learn!

2 comments:

Beth (Jam and Clotted Cream) said...

My kind of quiche - yummy

Coby said...

Something so delicious could be called anything you like as long as you call ME to the dinner table;)